[SCA-Dance] Halfe Hannikin

Charlene Charette clclists1 at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 14:13:58 EDT 2008

Alex Clark wrote:
>> I notice that neither "Sides all" nor "turn[e]" say "That againe".
>> I don't think that's significant.
>
> I'm sure that it ought to be significant. The possibility that the
> instructions might have meant "that againe" in those places was inferred by
> the reader, but not necessarily implied by the author. That makes all the
> difference in the world. Something that is not even implicit in the source
> may be assumed to be modern.

It's also important to remember that Playford was the publisher, not the
author, of these dances.  One article I've read claimed they identified
six different authors of the dances.  In that case, inconsistencies in
how the same moves are described aren't surprising.

--Perronnelle

--
No number of experiments can prove me right, but it takes only one to
prove me wrong.  -- Albert Einstein