[SCA-Dance] Modern Music for Renaissance Dances

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Jan 15 11:13:03 EST 2008

At 12:39 PM 1/14/2008 +0900, Catherine Harvey wrote:
>They were onto something in A Knight's Tale.  Golden Years is great for
>most pavans, we especially like the Earl of Salisbury.
>If you're into bootscooting, the Bear Dance works well to Devil Went
>Down to Georgia.
>The Queen's Allemande works well with YMCA.  You do the YMCA hand
>movements in the 4 doubles part ending with smacking your partner's hand
>to make both sides of the "A".
>Boney M's Rasputin is good for the Korobuska, nice Russian theme.
>The theme song from the Smurfs is almost the same as the tune for
>Goddesses.  Did you know there is a techno remix of the Smurf's theme?
>It's a bit hard to dance to in places though.

Two out of the five dances named here are actual Renaissance dances (as the
subject of the thread says), which is not bad as this thread goes. :-/ The
Earl of Salisbury's Pavane is a Renaissance tune; the dance was
choreographed in the first half of the 20th century by Mabel Dolmetsch.
Korobushka is a Russian or Ukrainian dance from the late 19th century,
apparently influenced by the Schottisches that were in fashion at the time
(and it seems to have undergone some changes since then). And the Bear
Dance is at least reputed to have originated in the later 20th century.

--
Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon