[SCA-Dance] Very OOP Dance Help Needed

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Mar 13 22:01:48 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:18:28PM -0700, Niki wrote:

>   I am requesting any help that any of you can offer regarding the following VERY out of Period Dances.

Alas, the local Playford Ball doesn't do much 1st Playford, and
doesn't do the latter ones with the right fru-fru steps. You didn't
say if you cared about the steps or not.

Anyway:

>   Female Sailor

This one's supposedly from Feuillet and not at all in Playford. You
can find various originals and translations of Feuillet here:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/weaver/

If you just want the figures, it's in the Terp Manual. I looked
through Weaver's 1st edition and I didn't see it there.

>   Mr. Issacs Maggot
>   Hole in the Wall
>   The Fine Companion (ok Playford, as we all know - but does anyone
>     have: the Boon Companion or The Merry Companion?) The music is the
>     same, yet the style and timing are different.

These are all Playfords, and you should be able to find info about
them here:

http://www.izaak.unh.edu/nhltmd/indexes/dancingmaster/

... if you can figure out how to decipher the notation, it says which
editions the dance appears in, and gives the figures.

>   Any other dances that you may know of that were done between
>   1770-1795 would also be helpful.  (I know, the years make you
>   cringe, they do it to me too.)

The Playford summary listed above ought to lead you there.

-- Gregory