[SCA-Dance] Haut Barrois

Mikuláš migulas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 10:06:15 EST 2007

Barbara Webb wrote:
> Reminder: This list now set up with no reply-to header. Make sure you
> reply to the      *or* the individual.
>

> Thanks for the various messages, let me see if I have understood!
> Basically what you (variously) describe is that the "pied largi
> gauche" landing is done on both feet, with the feet apart (the left
> foot having moved sideways, the right staying more or less where it
> was). Then the next jump lands with feet together (right coming near
> left), the next with feet apart (left moving sideways) and the last
> with feet together again.
>
> This seems to make sense, and I can even see it as sort of consistent
> with the tabulation, if we interpolate a first saut on the up-beat, i.e.
>       (jump)
> Beat     1: land feet apart
>     2: (jump)
>         3: land feet 'approche'
>         4: (jump)
>      5: land feet apart
>         6: (jump)
>         7: land feet joined or right foot in the air
>     8: (jump for next step etc.)
>
> I can imagine this could get quite tiring, e.g. doing 8 in succession
> in Montarde, though perhaps easier (and more elegant) with practice.
>
> A few people mentioned Gavotte - I was taught this (many years ago)
> with hopped steps which might be why I had this in mind in trying to
> decipher the Haut Barrois.
>
> Cheers
>
> Caitlin

Well,

that is very much like how we do it.
By the way, it should be quite tiring, at least regarding what Capriol
says: " Ce branle icy me semble plus remuant que les precedents, &
seroit propre pour dancer en l'hyver, afin de s'eschauffer:" -> "This
dance seems to me more lively then those before, one should dance it in
the winter to keep warm." If it keeps you warm you are probably doing it
right ;)

The thing left to decide is how much motion in the ankles is involved.
You can either do all jumps very softly (it looks more
"renaissance-like") or with your ankles fixed and knees absorbing the
impact - that would be very much like some gavottes form Brittany
(Gavotte de Dardeloup or Jilgoden for example). But that is just a
question of style...

Wish you a warm winter,

Mikulas