[SCA-Dance] Event: Northshield Dance Seminar

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Apr 17 10:48:08 EDT 2007

At 04:02 PM 4/15/2007 -0500, Steven Bush wrote:
>As a part of the festivities, Eithni ingen Talorgain, Esteemed Baroness of
>Jararvellir, does issue the following challenge to those good gentles
>interested in the art and practice of dance: Half Hannikin - What’s the
>Other Half?
>
>Half-Hannikin is one of the easiest dances from Playford’s 1st Edition

>but it’s only half of Hannikin. The question is: what’s the other half?
>The dance has up and back, siding, and arming, so clearly the missing half
>is the chorus. Hence the challenge: Give us the Other Half of Hannikin.

This challenge seems to be premature. A more timely question would be: Half
Hannikin - What's Playford's Half? The dance, as I know it from Playford,
does not include any "arming". At most, one could guess that the turn at
the end is equivalent to arms (IIRC, there's at least one Playford dance
that uses both terms for what is apparently the same figure), but that
would be no more than an unsupported assumption. So I suppose that the
dance described above is the modern "Half Hannigan" (to an adaptation of
Playford's tune) and not a version of Playford's Half Hannikin. Since it is
mistakenly referred to as being from Playford, it seems that the challenge
was issued without consulting Playford to see if his dance works for this
challenge.

BTW, if a dance that is to be creatively extended must have both sides and
arms, then rather than seeking the other half of Hannikin, how about a
quest to find "Dargagrandson"? (It would be danced to the "heir" of
Dargason.) (But when it is found, please don't "grandfather" it in as an
honorary period dance.)

And just imagine the possible sequels:
The Bride of Dargason.
De Nephew of Dargason.