[SCA-Dance] A few more random thoughts about the Volta

Courtney Meredith Meredith.Courtney at comverse.com
Mon Feb 6 18:11:34 EST 2006

Hi all:

Re cultural context: I really don't think the Volta was considered
scandalous in Court circles, allusions to it (including paintings) seem
too matter-of-fact for that.  It might have been a bit daring in
Arbeau's social circle (good society in provincial France might well be
a bit more conservative than Court), but, I would think, no more so than
a modern woman attending a party in a really slinky evening gown.

Re galliard vs Volta as separate musical genres: I can't tell any
difference between music labelled galliard and music labelled volta.
But I remember one occasion when I was teaching the Volta, and offering
several different recordings to dance it to - my husband remarked that
he found it easier to dance the Volta to the music that was *called* a
Volta, something about it was giving him a little more help.  And I
*think* someone else at that practice agreed with him ...

I'm all for more people taking up the Volta.  It does require nontrivial
coordination between partners, but when I teach it, I can always tell
when a couple nails it, because of the demented grin that appears on the
lady's face.  I know that grin, from the inside - for just a moment, I'm
*flying*!  I sure hope the gentlemen get an equal kick out of it.

Mara

Meredith Courtney
Comverse