[SCA-BMDL] Sunday sewing - Scroll case extravaganza this sunday - other projects going forward

Sharon Booth sbooth at sbooth.net
Fri Apr 14 16:30:57 EDT 2023

Now that outdoor practice is starting again, I will be holding in-person
sewing from 2-5pm Sunday afternoons. Location is my home, 1105 Shady
Ave, Pittsburgh, PA, 15232. Please do not park in the driveway. Times
may vary depending on weather or my schedule. If the weather is poor, I
may start sewing earlier. Watch Stórfréttir for changes to the regular
schedule. I'd like to start this Sunday with a scroll case extravaganza.
I have fabric, I have cardboard, I have a power cutter for the cardboard
and sewing scissors for the fabric. I have sewing machines and tables,
thread, pins, rulers, and markers.  The barony needs more scroll cases.
Let's make some scroll cases to start the season. You may bring your own
fabric and cardboard and other equipment, but you can't leave unused
supplies here. I'm full of fabric and cardboard.

Going forward feel free to bring any sewing project. If you are
interested in making Japanese garments for Iris festival or just because
it looks comfortable, this is your chance. If you want fabric
recommendations, here you go: linen is really comfortable, ramie is also
comfortable and more period, and lightweight hemp is great if you can
find it. Look for Robert Kaufman humboldt hemp or just lightweight 100%
hemp. There are asian cotton prints, but cotton is somewhat post period.
But don't let that discourage you if you find the perfect pattern. How
much you need depends on the fabric width, what you are making, and your
size. Check with me for an estimate if you have a fabric in mind and
know the width. I usually find nice linen and hemp on etsy.com. I've
seen lovely ramie fabric on aliexpress.com.

If you have questions contact sewing (at) debatablelands (dot) org.

In Service,

Hara Shonagon