[SCA-AE] input wanted on some class ideas, marshal stuff
tessathehuntress at comcast.net
tessathehuntress at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 15:56:15 EST 2012
I'm thinking of teaching a couple of classes at our upcoming Academy.
My thought was to have one (or a couple) of classes either taught by myself or another senior marshal. I wanted
to see if there was interest in these classes.. or if there are other ones that people would like to attend?
Along with the martial theme and getting our fighters geared up for Pennsic.. we will need people to help
marshal. I thought these classes would be good:
1. how to inspect (weapons and armor). Or I could do one on "so, you would like to be a marshal" and take you thru
the steps of how to become one, along with how to do inspections, marshal a list field, etc..
2. I would like to see one taught on inspecting missle weapons, bows and crossbows. This could be taught with a class on making combat archery missiles, depending on interest.
3. It may be worthwhile for our other martial fields to offer a "how-to-inspect"/how to become a marshal. We have target archery, thrown weapons, rapier, equestrian and siege.
4. If we have room and we are running melees.. I'm toying with the thought of showing/giving tips on marshalling melees. Marshalling
a melee is different from a list field. We look for different things and we have to be more mobile, so it isn't for everyone. I do think some of our newer marshals would benefit working with some of our experienced marshals. :)
5. A marshal refresher class. Have you been a marshal forever, but haven’t been active recently or worry that you may have missed a recent rule change? This one would include handouts, as a short, quick guide to recent changes. I’m thinking ones from the past 3 (?) years? Basically, this one would serve as a refresher on our rules. It could be open to a marshal roundtable at the end for those who are interested.
I'm open for suggestions for a specific class.. and/or including something specific in a specific class. I mostly wanted an idea of who would be interested in taking a marshal class.. and if so, which one(s)? I would appreciate feedback, off list.. before I sign up to teach a class. If you are interested, but can't attend our Summer Academy, let me know. I might be willing or able to teach one, either one on one or at another event (or have someone else teach it for me).
I'm a firm believer that Our kingdom should be providing a significant number of the marshals at pennsic, especially "this" Pennsic when we are one of principal kingdoms/sides. If we have a good number of marshals (which we do, but more are always welcome), then everyone can do a shift at inspection point/field set up (non-marshals can help with this, too) and/or marshalling the battles, that means everyne will be able to fight, too. Many hands make light work.
If we want to see this set up again, being a principal kingdom at Pennsic, we will need to provide people to help marshal, too. I know we have a number of people, who always help marshal/inspect/etc at Pennsic.. but I want to see more of our marshals step up, for one shift, please.. I'm just planting some seeds...
For those of you who would like to help, but can't (or don't want to fight, marshal or water bear).. we can also use more help with field set up. Sometimes, the battles start so late, because we only have 2 or 3 people doing field set up. If you would like to help with any of this, just let me know. If you've been interested in becoming a marshal, now is the time to start. Please feel free to contact your regional marshal, or myself, if you don't know who your regional marshal is..
Tessa, Kingdom Earl Marshal
More information about the Sca-aethelmearc