[SCA-AE] spelling question?

Karen Donnelly kd.donnelly at verizon.net
Fri Jul 30 21:26:47 EDT 2010

>From Cassell's Latin-English dictionary:

To live = vivere
To love = amare

>From Essentials of Latin Grammar by W. Michael Wilson

The short version is:
Every regular verb, like vivere and amare, changes its ending to match the
pronoun before the verb.  Vivere and amare lose the last three letters to
make the verb root.  VIV.... and AM....

In the present tense:
I adds an "o":  vivo and amo
You adds an "as":  vivas and amas
He/she adds an "at": vivat and amat
We adds an "amus": vivamus and amamus
All of you aka yunz aka y'all adds an "atis": vivatis and amatis
They adds an "ant": vivant and amant

Therefore:
Vivat = He/she lives - for one person
Vivant = They live - for more than one person

Karana
(Who took Latin in HS and is a scientist in modern life)

> From: Laurie Firth <lanneth at fastmail.fm>
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:47:06 -0400
> To: AE discussion <discussion at aethelmearc.org>
> Subject: Re: [SCA-AE] spelling question?
>
> If my hazy memories of Latin grammar are correct, vivit/vivunt would
> be
*indicative* active (s/he lives and they live).  Vivat/vivant would be
3rd
> person singular and plural *subjunctive* active:  may s/he live and
may they
> live.

~Rose Elspeth

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:36:09 -0700 (PDT), "Clare