[SCA-AE] New A&S Policy at Pennsic

Lady Giovanna da Napoli greyraven315 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 21:14:34 EDT 2010

A have a simply question. What if an A&S tent had a class about nudity in
Medieval Times & how it influenced paintings? What about an A&S tent on brewing
alcohol? I know that most will say that these questions should have a common
sense answer, but most adults are saying that minor children should be allowed
to go into any adult A&S tent, and that they shouldn't have to have an adult
supervising them. With that said, What is a teacher supposed to do, when a minor
enters in an inappropriate adult class and that child does not have an adult
with them?

Here's the situation that the teacher is put into; they politely tell the minor
that they cannot be in attendance for that class and asks them to leave. The
minor refuses because,"my mom &/or dad said that I can go where ever I want &
take any class I want." Again the teacher explains that their specific class is
not for minors. Then the minor starts to cause a problem and the teacher has to
put a freeze, on their class, because they now have to seek out help, parents
need to be tracked down, and an incident report may need to be filed. This can
completely cancel that class time because the teacher may have to spend the next
few hours trying to get this situation worked out.

The situation above can happen, but can all be avoided by simply having an adult
go with the minor child. I've read many say that the Pennsic Mayor needs to use
"common "sense. Parents need to also use "common" sense too. There are reasons
for this new policy at Pennsic and there are reasons to not have this new policy
at Pennsic, but I still do not understand why there are so many people against
it?

It is up to the parents, in making sure that their minor children are following
the rules of the SCA and of Pennsic, so why not lead by example instead of being
aggravated by this policy that is for this year's Pennsic. It may be a slight
inconvenience, but I would rather know that an adult is with my minor child that
is of my choosing than for something to happen and my child be scared with all
the strangers.

 Lady Giovanna Antonia da Napoli