Support Zeiss CZI format

Wei Chen chenw1 at uthscsa.edu
Mon Oct 10 11:52:52 EDT 2022

Hi Nicolas,

I am super excited to see your message. It is like finally meet you,
although not in person :). I learned a lot, especially on how to use the
range grid, by studying your code!

On 10/10/22 3:36 AM, SOUEDET Nicolas wrote:
> A few years ago (in 2016, I guess), we tried to integrate CZI ZEISS support to OpenSlide and we had exactly the same problem than you.
> The main issue is that ZEISS is too restrictive in its licence and the only way we found was to fork openslide and to integrate CZI ZEISS support in a separated github project. Our repository is based upon an old OpenSlide version, but if you want to have look it is available here : https://github.com/MIRCen/openslide

I am not aware any limitation on using CZI doc. In fact, I won't accept
the CZI format document in the first place, if it has any restriction
attached. The 1.1 version I used also looks very similar to the top
search result when google "ZISRAW file format", at least for the file
and segment header part I am interested.

Although I wrote the driver mainly for our research, I do hope upstream
can integrate it so people in the future can spend more time working on
scientific problems rather than preparing to solve them.

Best,
Wei