Function of JPEG Export by using OpenSlide

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 21 03:00:06 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:54:41AM +0000, Okamura, Hideki wrote:
> We are consider to use the OpenSlide to view the tiff based WSI on Windows
> PC.  As we want to check the basic function such as Pan, Magnification,
> annotation and JPEG export, someone knows where the information is ??
> Especially, We would like to check if OpenSlide has the function of JPEG
> export of ROI.

Hi Hideki,

OpenSlide is a library, not a viewer application.  Its API documentation is
here:

    http://openslide.org/api/openslide_8h.html

The primary function of interest is openslide_read_region(), which returns
an ROI as uncompressed ARGB pixel data.

Graphical applications that can read files with OpenSlide include nip2
<https://github.com/jcupitt/nip2/> and QuPath <https://qupath.github.io/>.
OpenSlide's Python bindings also include some example web-based viewers:
<https://github.com/openslide/openslide-python/tree/master/examples/deepzoom>.