Java bindings vs. Python bindings

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 13 20:14:29 EST 2014

On 02/13/2014 10:01 AM, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> Now we'd like to see whether we can put up similar functionality
> using a Java web application and were wondering whether the Java
> bindings expose the same functionality as the Python bindings or
> whether there are gaps currently that would prevent us from
> replicating the exact behaviour of the Flask application.

Hi Tobias,

OpenSlide Java doesn't contain any Deep Zoom support code, so you'd have
to port deepzoom.py to Java.  It exclusively uses public APIs, so you
could do this outside of OpenSlide Java.  (Of course, as a port of
LGPLv2.1-licensed code, the resulting Java classes would also fall under
the terms of the LGPL.  I'd encourage you to release the ported code,
since it might be useful to others.)

Generating Deep Zoom tiles for associated images, if you wanted to do
that, would require some additional indirection.  In OpenSlide Python,
DeepZoomGenerator can receive an ImageSlide object, which wraps a PIL
image and implements the same interface as the OpenSlide class.
OpenSlide Java doesn't have anything like ImageSlide and doesn't provide
a separated interface for the OpenSlide class.