Looking for Dicom-145 sample files

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 6 00:46:46 EDT 2014

On 08/05/2014 05:23 AM, John Stevenson-Hoare wrote:
> If the data does not need to be de- and re-compressed for transit from
> scanner to image storage (eg PACS) then this avoids your concern over
> image quality. Of course vendors choose formats for all sorts of
> reasons, some of them to avoid issues of IP, and consequently result in
> apparently strange content. If the vendor format is suitable (and I
> appreciate many are not) then there is no reason to go through the de-
> and re-compress cycle. Unfortunately if you use OpenSlide you are forced
> down this route.

In the pursuit of simplicity, OpenSlide tries to hide the low-level
format details that a lossless format converter would need.  It is
intended to be a format reader library, not the input stage of a format
converter.  Indeed, a driving principle behind the development of
OpenSlide is that conversions of existing slide data to a common format
will never, in general, be good enough for archival purposes.

Of the formats supported by OpenSlide, I think only Aperio, Leica, and
Sakura might be suitable for format conversion without recompression.