Openslide + MATLAB

Mitko Veta mitko.veta at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 15:29:20 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

Around 3 years ago I wrote to this mailing list that I am working on a
MATLAB wrapper for the Openslide library. My original plan was to build a
comprehensive MATLAB digital slides viewer based on Openslide.
Unfortunately, although I have a slide viewer that is good enough for my
own needs, because of other engagements I did not manage to go beyond this.

Since my first email, several people wrote me asking for the code for
reading digital slides in MATLAB using Openslide, and I gladly shared it
with them. It seems that there is an increasing interest for accessing
digital slides from MATLAB, so I decided to publicly share the code which
can now be found here:

http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Mitko/openslide_mex.html

Note that this code does not include a slide viewer, but, it provides a
MATLAB class that enables user-friendly access to the image data from
digital slides. A major limitation is that only a single slide can be read
at a time (two or more slides cannot be simultaniousely opened). However,
this and other functionalities can be easily implemented using this code as
a reference.

I hope you will find this useful. If you have any questions I will be glad
to answer them.

Regards,

Mitko