FW: openslide

Villalon, Elena villalel at umdnj.edu
Wed May 9 14:28:04 EDT 2012

Sorry, I did not have the address handy

Benjamin, How do you get openslide-jni.dll. We have been using openslidejava.dll but when you change the java code (mostly because you have renamed the packages from edu.cmu.cs.openslide to org.openslide)., the old openslidejava.dll does not work. You can always create a dummy class edu.cmu.cs.openslide.OpenSlideJNI that simply extends org.openSlideJNI (provided you make the latter public), and it takes care of the problem. Anyway what do I need to do to compile openslide-jni.dll or is it available anywhere?.

I think it is time to let you know the work we have done at UMDNJ. Mostly we have been extending your java application to handle remote calls. There are two projects:

One of my colleague, Cristobal, have written a Web service based on  RESTFUL (Jersey) application that requests an image slide and displays it and you can even zoom in and out making restful calls to the server.

I have written an RMI (remote method invocation) service based in your java code (OpenSlideView.java)  and interacts remotely as with your Java GUI.  I am still working on it because I have some issues with fire walls. The client is a web application too, that requests an image in a remote server and interacts with it but instead of displaying it in JFrame it is JApplet. The client download the client jar files using Java web Start and a JNLP file that resides in the server (Tomcat). It displays in a web browser with JApplet. It can even save some of the images as jpeg in client's computer because JNLP is downloading signed jar files.

If there are no problems with firewalls, then the server can run as an application that registers a factory of openslide images in the RMI registry. It supports many clients simultaneously requesting access to the remote images. The images are never downloaded but they are displayed in the clients without downloading the entire image. Many clients can access the same image but only one object is created in the server for the same image, which by different clients may reuse, so we do not end up with memory issues.

Presently, I am creating a Servlet that will run on the server computer within Tomcat and will register the factory of remote objects. The Servlet can use some sockets HTTPtoPort or HTTPToCGI that are in the oracle distribution of the JRE/rt.jar, which presumably will circumvent the firewall issues I have with the socket that RMI is using.  Inside UMDNJ we have no issues just using straight socket that RMI creates but outside we have the firewalls, and this is the reason I am working with Servlet and the socket factories   HTTPtoPort or HTTPToCGI. My servlet is working and running but I have not tested it with the new socket factories outside the university.

The work that Cristobal has done has none of the firewall issues but it may not be as efficient as working with RMI. If you have any questions you can email him Cristobal Vergara Niedermayr [cristobal.vergara.niedermayr at gmail.com].

Let me know if any of our work is of interest to you and the openslide users. Regards Elena