Installation on Mac OS X

Andrew Packer andrew at cogitant.co.nz
Sun Mar 4 00:42:45 EST 2012

Thank you Benjamin.

"As far as I'm aware, no one has run OpenSlide Python on Mac OS X before,
and shared libraries use a different suffix on Macs.  Edit the file
openslide/lowlevel.py in the source tree, and change the line:

     _lib = cdll.LoadLibrary('libopenslide.so.0')

to:

     _lib = cdll.LoadLibrary('libopenslide.0.dylib')

"Then rerun sudo python setup.py install."

There being a file openslide/lowlevel.py in each of
~/Downloads/openslide-python-0.3.0/openslide/ and
~/Downloads/openslide-python-0.3.0/build/lib/ of course I started by
editing the wrong file - so now I have a better inkling of what
constitutes the source tree here.

Anyhow, I can report success; opened an .svs file and had a good look at
it via my browser.  Thanks again.

=====Andrew Packer