OpenSlide debian package

Adam Goode adam at spicenitz.org
Sat Sep 3 20:33:58 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 18:45, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> On 09/03/2011 01:06 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

>>> If this has been applied upstream, yes. Is this the case ?
>>
>> It's adding an incorrect soversion to a build system you're not going to
>> use, so you probably don't need it in your package.  :-)
>
> My mistake. I was very surprised a package with version 3.2.4 was
> still respecting it's very first ABI version, very impressive.
>
> Anyway my point is that any other SOVERSION mechanim in cmake would be
> ok with me. My feeling is that maintaining two build systems is very
> difficult, and error prone (and duplicates work), so again my feeling
> is that there is a high chance the autotools may disappear at some
> point. But again this is just a feeling and the reason why I would
> like to keep the cmake build system around (not to mention having
> cmake greatly ease my work).

CMake support was added by some contributors who use OpenSlide only on
Windows. It is not tested on Linux. I am not against migrating the
Linux build to CMake, but it will probably take some work to do so
(probably not by me). I would want to carefully verify that things are
built correctly in at least Fedora and EPEL with CMake before
eliminating automake, which works fairly well at this point.

Again, thanks for your work. It would be great to see OpenSlide in Debian!

Adam