[oe-sync] Descriptions for the animations at http://openedgecomputing.org/proto/

Kiryong Ha krha at cmu.edu
Tue Oct 6 16:36:33 EDT 2015

Hi Ashlee,

I wrote descriptions for the videos at
http://openedgecomputing.org/proto/ site. It's wordy, so you may want
to rephrase it. Thanks.

Description
1. Bringing the processing closer to the user
- In mobile context, interactive as well as resource-intensive apps
are emerging. e.g. Apple Siri, Google Now.
- These apps are too expensive to run entirely on a mobile device, so
they are usually partitioned into a front-end mobile app and a
back-end server program.
- And we use today's cloud like Amazon AWS to host the backend server program.
- However, today cloud infrastructure is suboptimal place because of
high latency and low bandwidth between a mobile device and associated
cloud server.
- The animation shows how Cloudlet can improve the performance of
those application by bringing the cloud closer to the user

2. Discover=> Provision=> Handoff
- (Nothing to add more here)

3. Live Performance Comparison
- We compare the performance of fluid application which simulate
liquid sloshing in a big container. Using accelerometer readings from
a mobile device, it physically models the motion of imaginary fluids
with which the user can interact.
- The mobile app transmit accelerometer data and all compute-intensive
simulation is done at the back-end server.
- Here we use exactly same back-end server program but one is running
at cloudlet and the other is running at Amazon West server.
- The video clearly shows performance difference between two cases in
terms of responsiveness.

4. Background: VM Synthesis
- (I think it is too detail to show it at the front page).

--
Kiryong