[oe-sync] Minimize toll-free Webex use

Mahadev Satyanarayanan satya at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 22 06:01:14 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,
 Our use of Webex at the last meeting worked well.  The voice quality
was good, and it was much simpler to use a single system for everything
rather than Webex for screen-sharing and a separate system for voice.
We will continue to use this moving forward.

 However, Patrice pointed out something important: on many occasions,
some of the Huawei participants may be in China (either located there,
or visiting there).  He observed that China is not one of the
countries for which Webex has a callin number listed.

 I looked into this, and Patrice is partly correct.  There are no toll
callin lines for China.  However, Webex does support a toll-free
callin line for China (in fact two: one for south and one for north).
This is also true for some other countries (e.g., India, Egypt, etc.).
For this to work, I have to enable toll-free calling on Webex.
However, this is very expensive and the cost per minute is directly
billed to my account and is charged to my limited research budget.
(Toll calls are also billed to my account, but the cost per minute
is much cheaper).

  To facilitate our collaboration, I have enabled toll-free calling.
However, I request that all of you respect the cost aspect.  If you
have a choice of toll or toll-free number listed for the country you
are calling from, please use the toll number.  Only use toll-free if
no toll number is available.  If you respect this simple rule, it will
keep costs as low as possible.  This is true for our weekly Thursday
meetings, and also for any other ad hoc Webex meetings we set up.

 We have initiated a strong collaboration, and I look forward to many
high-impact results from this collaboration over the next year.

     -- Satya