netreg-users: NetReg... NetMon?

David Nolan vitroth at cmu.edu
Thu Feb 1 16:21:21 EST 2007

On 1/31/07, Matthew Brennan <mbrennan at kaydongroup.com> wrote:
> After much playing around I finally understand how NetReg works and
> was able to get it up and running in my test environment. I
> experimented with the WPI branch, but in the end I failed at getting
> that to work (I think mostly because it relies on some stuff that I
> have no clue how to populate the tables, as Frank had warned me). At
> this point I would like to look at NetMon / NetConf and see how those
> integrate, however I am having dificulty finding information on these
> packages. While I can find some of the package on the CVS system, I
> can not seem to find any form of installation instructions, and the
> interface portions seem to either be not included on CVS, or somehow
> obscured. If anyone could point me to a set of install instructions,
> or perhaps an actual release, it would be appreciated.

Matt,

NetMon is one of multiple sister projects to NetReg thats been written
at CMU.  Unfortunately, like all the other related projects, it
suffers from a lack of documentation, installation instructions, or
even a clean released version.  NetMon was initially released together
with NetReg, but was eventually split into its own tree because it was
making NetReg look even bigger & scarier then it really was.
Unfortunately we never seem to have the time necessary to devote to
cleaning up & releasing the other systems.  (Particularly right now,
our group is short staffed and looking for new programmers.)

That said, it is in use at a couple other sites, with some degree of
success.  All of the code is in CVS

NetConf is just a set of perl libraries, used by NetReg & NetMon when
interacting with swiches, routers and wireless access points.

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Carnegie Mellon University