netreg-devel: IPv6 support...

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Oct 19 12:06:52 EDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 11:15:21AM -0400, Frank Sweetser wrote:
> So with pressure to do actual IPv6 looming on the horizon, I've been pondering
> what would have to be tinkered with in NetReg.  It ended up getting a bit long
> for an email, so I threw them together at
>
> http://erwin.wpi.edu/~fs/netreg/ipv6.html
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Database:

Two 64-bit Ints seems like the way to go, especially since IPv6
addresses are often treated as 64-bit Prefix, 64-bit Host parts.

PostgreSQL with it's native IPv4 & IPv6 datatype support would be nice
though.

DHCP:

ISC DHCP 4.0.0 supports DHCPv6.  I've not looked into it to see if it
supports both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 at the same time, though.

I would rather see subnets treated independently.  You may not want a
1:1 v4:v6 relationship with subnets.  Especially since multiple v6
prefixes may be present on the same link--with multihomed providers,
each ISP may be providing a different /64 prefix to every host on a
link.

Allocation:

With IPv6, multiple addresses of different types will be the norm for
each host.  Rather than the current 1:1 correspondence of machine:IP,
perhaps this should be extended to allow many IP's related to a
machine.