Checking of MAC and IP in netmon subnet purge?

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Mon Jan 23 12:20:53 EST 2006

Poking around in spurge_Sweep_Subnet (the block starting around line 580 in
SubnetPurge.pm) in netmon, I found something that didn't make sense to me.
Specifically, when analyzing the hosts found in the dhcp_leases table, an entry
is considered "matching" only if both the mac address and the ip address match
the netreg record.  Given that the IP address will never match the netreg
record for dynamic hosts where the IP address is configured as 0, is there any
reason why the IP address should be checked?

WPI Network Engineer          |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken