[944] Midterm

Gautam Iyer gi1242+944 at cmu.edu
Mon Nov 14 11:31:03 EST 2022

Hi All,

We will have use of both rooms for the midterm tomorrow. Please use both
rooms and space yourselves out.

Reminder:

    1. We have office hours today (see times below)

    2. Bring a calculator (see rules below)

    3. The exam is closed book, no formula sheets. (See syllabus/rules
       below)

Also, since some of you have asked: I won't post solutions to questions
that I didn't solve in Lecture 7; however, we would be happy to solve
any questions you are curious about during office hours.

Best,

Gautam

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 04:46:57PM -0500, Gautam Iyer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Next week we will have office hours at the following times:
>
>     Monday 12:00-1:00 (on Zoom)
>     Monday  5:30-6:30 (on Zoom)
>
> The midterm will be on Tuesday (closed book, in class, see below).
> Please bring a calculator (see restrictions below). I've put up
> solutions to HW3, extra practice problems and three previous midterms. I
> strongly recommend practicing by doing problems (without looking at the
> solutions), and then checking your answers.
>
> Best,
>
> Gautam
>
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2022 at 04:27:58PM -0400, Gautam Iyer via mscf-944 wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 16:27:58 -0400
>> From: Gautam Iyer via mscf-944 <gi1242+944 at cmu.edu>
>> To: mscf-944 at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
>> Subject: [944] Midterm
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> We have a midterm on Tue Nov 15th, in class. It will be closed book
>> exam.
>>
>> Syllabus: The exam will cover everything we have done in class, up to
>> and including Itô's formula. I will do a few more examples of Itô's
>> formula in class on Tuesday, and then I will spend Thursday doing a
>> review.
>>
>> Calculators: Please bring a calculator to the exam. I will follow the
>> same policy recommended by other MSCF math instructors. Your calculator
>> must not have electronic communications capabilities, can not access the
>> internet, and can not read / store document files. (If you don't have a
>> calculator, please buy one. Simple calculators are available online for
>> about $10; probably you can get them for a similar price in local stores
>> as well.)
>>
>> The main goal of the exam is to give you an idea of how well you
>> understand the material. With mathematical courses such as this one, one
>> common trap is believing you understand the material because you can
>> follow along in lecture, or read the books / notes. This is very
>> different from being able do problems yourself! So I strongly recommend
>> you practice doing problems, without looking at the solutions.
>>
>> There will be no proofs on the exam. All proofs I do, or ask you to do
>> on homework, are only to help you understand the material. All questions
>> on your midterm will ask you to "compute something", and will have a
>> clear answer (either numerical or symbolic).
>>
>> The questions on the exam will not be repeats of problems you've seen
>> before; but will use ideas you've seen before. Since the midterm only
>> tests a few basic tools, students usually find it easier to do well on
>> the midterm in comparison to the final. For example, last year about
>> half the class got an A on the midterm, but only about 40% got an A on
>> the final. (This is just for your information only: There are no grade
>> quotas; if your performance on the exam demonstrates a solid
>> understanding of the required material, you will get an A. I recall one
> [...]

MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
Them