[944] Final scores

Gautam Iyer gi1242+944 at cmu.edu
Wed Dec 20 10:23:23 EST 2017

Hi All,

Your final is now graded. Your score should be available on canvas
shortly. Your final grade for the course will also be available on SIO
(not canvas) shortly.

The grade cutoffs / distribution for the final were as follows:

        Score   Grade        # Students
        39      4.50         15
        34      4.00 (A)     19
        29      3.67 (A-)    23
        24      2.67 (B-)    22
        19      1.67 (C-)    13
        14      0.67         4
        0       0.00         3

Scores in between the cutoffs above can be converted to a grade point by
interpolating linearly. Following this, your final course grade can be
obtained using the formula on the website. The distribution of the final
grades (before the makeup final) is as follows:

	A+	7
	A	21
	A-	22
	B+	11
	B	11
	B-	11
	C+	7
	C	2
	C-	2
	D	4   (There are no +/- grades allowed for D's)
	R	1
	W	1

The makeup final will allow students who got a C+ a second chance at
increasing their grade, up to a maximum of B-. I will email everyone
for the makeup exam with the rules and time.

In terms of the final itself: I'm happy to see that many of you solved
the last two problems!

There were however a few "upsets" and a few students who did well on the
midterm did poorly on the final. Given the intense interview schedule
and other courses, I understand if things "pile up" towards the end of
the mini; however, if you got a 26 or lower on the final, I strongly
recommend you review the material over break so that you are well
prepared for part two of this course.

I will drop off the finals on Friday morning in Pittsburgh, and I assume
they will reach NY on Monday. (Unfortunately I can't drop them off any
earlier as I may not be on campus.) The policy for viewing / requesting
regrades of questions on the final is the same as that on the midterm. I
quote it here for your convenience:

    * Your graded exams will be available in the MSCF office on your
      campus. You may view them in the office. However if you take them
      out of the office you may not request regrading of any problems.

    * If you believe a particular question has been graded incorrectly,
      then please leave a post-it note on the front of the exam
      indicating which question you want re-graded, and tell
      Jessica/Diffy. Please do **NOT** include any explanation or
      message. Your grade will be solely based on our interpretation of
      what is written on the exam, and not on any explanation you
      provide outside the exam.

    * We will cover up the grade, and independently regrade the
      requested question. The new grade will replace your old grade,
      EVEN IF IT IS LOWER. I strongly recommend you read and understand
      the solutions posted online before requesting a regrade, because
      YOUR GRADE COULD BECOME LOWER.

(If you have a regrade request, please submit it on or before the first
day of class next mini, and I will address it at the end of the first
week of classes next mini.)

Going forward, stochastic calculus 2 should hopefully be as much "fun"
and will pick up where I left off. Good luck and have a nice break.

Best,

Gautam

PS: If you are eligible to take the makeup final, I will email you
    separately.

--
What happens to nitrogen when the sun comes up? It becomes daytrogen.