cyrus-imapd not starting after upgrade

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 08:29:21 EST 2019

On 8/2/19 16:46, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

>> After quite some time, today I decided to update the mail server from
>> Debian Jessie (cyrus-imapd 2.4.17) to Debian Stretch (cyrus-imapd 2.5.10-3).

> Hello Daniel,

Hello, Paul.

> I use cyrus-imapd 2.5.10-3 from Debian stable on serveral machines and I
> can tell you that it gives much TLS problems.
>
> What I do is this using a cronjob every night, and after rebooting:
> ----
> service cyrus-imapd stop
> mv /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db-weg
> touch /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db
> chown cyrus:mail /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db
> service cyrus-imapd start
> ----
>
> But it takes sometimes 30 minutes before I see "imapd" in "ps aux" again.
>
> It seems to be better to use the patches from upstream, to backport the
> version in testing, or to use 2.5.12 from the Debian salsa git repo.
>
> In a few days Cyrus 3.0.8 will be in unstable/testing it's autobuilding
> at the moment.

Thank you for sharing this. I don't remember seeing errors with TLS in
the syslog. Could you share some syslog entries to check? From what I
see, for some reason you create a new tls_sessions.db file.

Have you opened a bug in Debian BTS about this?

The problem that I am observing after the update is the following at the
time of trying to deliver each mail:

----------
[/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp]: Permission denied

The delivery is normalized after executing this command:

# dpkg-statoverride --force --update --add cyrus lmtp 750
/var/run/cyrus/socket

But I have noticed that after doing a reboot I have this problem again.
Any idea what could be a definitive solution?

Kind regards,
Daniel