another problem with conversations db

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Sat Feb 2 08:34:54 EST 2019

Hi Michael,

Sorry about the delay in looking at this - I was mad crazy busy getting ready to go overseas. At Fosdem now, about to give a talk about JMAP!

OK, let's start with the things that give me a little bit of hives...

configdirectory: /srv/cyrus-be
partition-default: /srv/cyrus-be
partition-ssd: /srv/cyrus-be/ssd-part

Ouch. There's a couple of things I wouldn't do there - having the partition be the same as the config directory, and having a separate partition be a subdirectory of a partition. They're both asking for trouble. I would probably lay my system out like:

configdirectory: /srv/cyrus-be/conf
partition-default: /srv/cyrus-be/default-part
partition-ssd: /srv/cyrus-be/ssd-part

And then each tree would only have one type of thing in it.

Anyway, I don't think that would break anything.

metapartition-ssd: /srv/cyrus-ssd-be/meta/ssd-part
metapartition_files: header index cache expunge squat annotations lock dav archivecache

Ooh, I haven't tested having cache and archivecache on the same location. That's really interesting. Again, I'd be in favour of separation here, give them different paths. That might be tricky with ssd though, the way this is laid out. I assume you have some kind of symlink farm going on?

Otherwise it all looks OK. Are you getting other IOERRORs in your log files which could show things aborting? It really looks like your conversations DB is getting out of sync due to other failures.

Cheers,

Bron.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019, at 19:36, Michael Menge wrote:

> Quoting Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2019, at 20:00, Michael Menge wrote:
> >> Hi Bron

> >> Thanks for looking into it. I have attached the backend and replica
> >> configs. There should be nothing messing with the files on disk
> >> directly. Some times we need to restore mails from file based
> >> backup (bacula) followed by a reconstruct but this was not the
> >> case this time.
> >
> > Do you always rebuild the conversations db after doing the
> > reconstruct? That will be necessary now. We switched to doing all
> > our restores using IMAP append a while back so we're never fiddling
> > the file system under Cyrus.

> >> We are running a cyrus 3.0.8 compiled with the following Options
> >> (./configure --enable-murder --enable-http --enable-calalarmd
> >> --enable-replication --enable-backup --enable-idled
> >> --enable-autocreate CFLAGS="-fPIC -g")
> >> in a murder configuration on a RHEL 7.5 System. As filesystem we use xfs.
> >
> > They should be fine. I'll have a read of the config when I'm at a
> > real computer.
> >

> did you find anything in the config that would explain the problems?

> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> M.Menge Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
> >> Universität Tübingen Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
> >> Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail:
> >> michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
> >> Wächterstraße 76
> >> 72074 Tübingen
> >>
> >> ----
> >> Cyrus Home Page: http://www.cyrusimap.org/
> >> To Unsubscribe:
> >>
> >> *Attachments:*
> >> * imapd_be.conf
> >> * cyrus_be.conf
> >> * cyrus_re.conf
> >> * imapd_re.conf
> >
> > --
> > Bron Gondwana
> > brong at fastmail.fm

> M.Menge Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
> Universität Tübingen Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
> Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail:
> michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
> Wächterstraße 76
> 72074 Tübingen