CentOS 6, cyrus-imapd 2.3.16-15.el6, postfix 2.6.6-8.el6, procmail 3.22-25.1.el6_5.1, squirrelmail 1.4.22-5.el6

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Thu Jun 21 16:35:45 EDT 2018

Le 21/06/2018 à 13:28:38-0400, Robert Heller a écrit

Sorry when I answer you I forget to put the mailing list on CC, Maybe they
are other answers...

So I add info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu on cc for this answer. Hope you
don't mind.

> At Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:23:56 +0200 Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> wrote:
>

> > Le 21/06/2018 à 09:58:15-0400, Robert Heller a écrit
> > > I am having trouble getting this all to work properly together.
> > >
> > > I have a CentOS 6 server, that is mostly a webserver and one main E-Mail
> > > account (mine), plus a couple of E-Mail accounts that use procmail to do spam
> > > filtering and then forward thing along.  I also run Mailman for some mailling
> > > lists.  Everything is working, except cyrus-imapd.  I have postfix set up to
> > > use procmail to deliver mail to me, through the filter and forward accounts
> > > and to Mailman.  I would like to add a *few* webbased e-mail accounts using
> > > Squirrelmail and (local for now) imapd.  But I cannot figure out how to either
> > > get cyrus-imapd to either access the local mail spool (/var/spool/mail) or to
> > > get procmail to deliver to imap spool (/var/spool/imap).  The postfix config
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you cannot do that.
> >
> > > says that you can only use mailbox_command or mailbox_transport, but not both.
> > > I want to use procmail + /var/spool/mail for some E-Mail accounts and (I
> > > guess) deliver + /var/spool/imap for others.
> >
> > I'm not sure that's a good idea to use postfix + procmail + cyrus.

I thinking of what you asking, well, maybe you can do that (event I find
that a little strange inside the procmailrc:

SHELL="/bin/bash"
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t"
LOGFILE="/var/log/procmail.log"
DEFAULT="$HOME/Maildir/"
MAILDIR="$HOME/Maildir/"
DELIVER="/usr/local/cyrus/deliver -d $LOGNAME"

# If it's for me
:0
* To: poweruser@\.*
$DEFAULT

# deliver to other user
:0 w
| $DELIVER

I didn't test it (I don't use procmail anymore)

> > I think that would be much better to use
> >
> >   postfix + sieve + cyrus.
> >
> > I don't say sieve is better than procmail, just say it's integrated.
>
> If I use sieve instead of procmail, what happens with my existing UNIX Mail
> accounts?  Does this mean I *have* to use imap to access ALL E-Mail on my
> server?  I don't want to do that.  I use QWK to access my personal mail,
> currently delivered to /var/mail/spool via procmail and use procmail recipies
> to pre-process it.  I need to do this in part because I have dial-up internet
> and cannot relaistly use a (so called) "modern" E-Mail client like
> Thunderbird, since I don't really have enough bandwidth for that.  Part of my
> procmail recipies involve stripping off attachments (so I don't have to
> download large attachment over a dialup connection) and to strip off HTML

Well as I know you cannot do that with sieve.

> (since I don't use [and refuse to use] a HTML capable E-Mail client).

Well, I'm also in the exact situation than you, but I use mutt as main
E-Mail client. It's working very well thought imap (whatever the server
is), and you can also use offlineimap to synchronise a local copy of your
email. So you can use mutt online by connecting to your imap server and you
can also use offlineimap to get a local copy so you can access your email
when you're offline.

And yes mutt work well on very low bandwidth connection.

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH
DIO bâtiment 15