How many Ram for cyrus

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Thu Jun 14 03:30:52 EDT 2018

On 13/06/2018 21:48, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi eveyone
>
> I got a server (FreeBSD + Cyrusimap, 192Go) I need to reserve some RAM for the ZFS arc.
>
> I would like to know how many Ram I need to run cyrus-imap.
>
> I got on between 300-1600 connexion imap simultaneous (on my old server)
>
> Through ps aux I see each imapd daemon use between 30Mo and.....300Mo. So
> because this very large interval I'm unable to calculate.

Albert,

We have a dual socket Intel (2.8 GHz, 8 cores), 72 GB RAM server running
Cyrus 2.3 on
Solaris 10.  It is very happy with 50-100 POP service instances and
5000-8000 IMAPDs
continuously in the system.
I seem to remember ZFS ARC takes all RAM it can get hold of, up to 50%
of total RAM.

Solaris 'prstat' shows typical size of an IMAPD process to be around 75
MB with an RSS
of 43 MB.
I recall the mailboxes.db size playing a role here. We have half a
million mailboxes.

Cordialement,
Eric.