Possible problems created by "GOODCHARS" extension when moving from compiled source to package.

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Fri Jan 26 04:22:40 EST 2018

Hello,

When moving from U Washington IMAP to Cyrus more than ten years ago I
stumbled upon

a limited number of mailbox names containing characters not allowed in
Cyrus as per the

GOODCHARS definition in imap/mboxname.c

I added    ()*?;[]%<>    to this string, tested, ran into no issues, so
we went into production

with this change.

We are now planning a Cyrus upgrade, a move to Debian based Cyrus
package is likely.

This will however imply adhering to the default GOODCHARS definition as
of then.

Q : it's okay for us to have the users being unable to create new
mailboxes with the now

       "illegal" chars but are we likely to run into trouble with
existing mailbox names ?

Corollary question : is there a Cyrus 3.0.x package our for any Linux
distro ?

I find a packaged 2.5.10-3 for Debian 9  "Stretch"

Thx,

Eric Luyten, Computing Centre VUB/ULB.