cyrus + roundcube + managesieve for vacation notification

Vladislav Kurz vladislav.kurz at webstep.net
Fri Dec 15 08:38:47 EST 2017

On 12/15/17 12:57, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> Many thanks to Vladislav and Merlin for setting me in the right
> direction for setting up user-activated vacation notifications.  A
> couple of follow up questions:
>
> On 12/14/2017 03:31 AM, Vladislav Kurz wrote:
>>> Also, is there anything special I need to do with my cyrus configuration
>>> to allow for roundcube to notify imapd about sieve rules being
>>> activated/deactivated?
>>
>> Just uncomment the sieve line in cyrus.conf
>
> Following the documentation here:
>  https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sieve.html
>
> it looks like I also need to add a managesieve line to
> /etc/cyrus/cyrus.conf?
>
>    sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="servername:sieve" prefork=0
>    managesieve   cmd="timsieved" listen="servername:4190" prefork=0
>

> Is this correct, or am I doing some superfluous?  I enabled managesieve
> and roundcube is talking to the sieve server, but didn't test without.

Hello Patrick,

these lines look like the same. Sieve port is 4190, and the first item
is IMHO just a name. Just keep the first one.

> Since this is our first time using sieve, I haven't worried about this
> too much until now, but roundcube+managesieve  seems to be concerned
> about the location of global sieve scripts:
>
>    // default contents of filters script (eg. default spam filter)
>    // $config['managesieve_default'] = '/etc/dovecot/sieve/global';
>    $config['managesieve_default'] = '/var/imap/sieve';

There is nothing like global sieve script in cyrus (at least I did not
find a way how to do it.)

The option above is path to a default script (file, not folder) that
will be applied to the user upon first login to roundcube. I use it as a
template for users with some recommended settings or disabled examples.
I usually put it into /etc/roundcube/roundcube.script, but you can put
it almost anywhere. (perhaps somewhere in document_root for roundcube is
also fine).

Do not rely on it as default. It is applied only if the user does not
have a sieve script yet. After that users are free to modify it. If
someone does not use roundcube at all, he will not get that script applied.

--
Best Regards
        Vladislav Kurz