cyrus master fails with status 71

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:50:23 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 05:01 AM, Eric Cunningham wrote:
> Nov  7 10:18:19 imap1 lmtpunix[58768]: unable to setsocketopt(TCP_KEEPCNT): Invalid argument
> Nov  7 10:18:19 imap1 lmtpunix[58768]: unable to setsocketopt(TCP_KEEPIDLE): Invalid argument
> Nov  7 10:18:19 imap1 lmtpunix[58768]: unable to setsocketopt(TCP_KEEPINTVL): Invalid argument
>
> Why is lmptunix complaining about options passed to imapd?

There's a bug here:

Based on a comment ("/* tcp only */"), master/service.c is trying to
limit the application of the tcp_keepalive config to TCP sockets only.
But it's doing this by checking for the type being SOCK_STREAM -- which
is not exclusive to TCP sockets.  Notably, AF_UNIX domain sockets may
also have type SOCK_STREAM, and this looks like the default
configuration for "lmtpunix".

So, those errors are because it's trying to set TCP_* socket options on
a socket that is not a TCP socket.  (Notice too that it doesn't error
when trying to set SO_KEEPALIVE, because that's a valid SOCK_STREAM
option.  It only fails to set the TCP_* options.)

Looks like this has been fixed on master already.  I'll see if the fix
backports to 2.5 cleanly, but in the meantime you can ignore these
errors.

Cheers,

ellie