Server Backup

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Mon Feb 8 09:32:37 EST 2016

Am Montag, 8. Februar 2016, 15:19:22 schrieb Giuseppe Ravasio  via Info-cyrus:
> I'm rewriting my backup script and I cannot find any hint about how to
> backup the cyrus server in a good way.

I think this hardly depends from what kind of backups / restores do you need
in which way.

In a larger setup i typically make a LVM / filesystem snapshot + databases
(while cyrus is running) and take an rsync from into an backup volume which
acts incremental by hard links (similiar increments are possible with i.e.
tar).

Additionally the databases got dumped into some into of generic format
(skiplist / plaintext).

This allows to restore single mails over single mailboxes up to the whole
server storage. After replacing the files a reconstruct -f is typically done.

I know this is not a very clean, but very flexible and resource-lightweight
way of backup.

In other (smaller) setups we used imapsync and similiar solutions for "backup"
or just take a "ugly" tarball snap in the night where nobody is working.

just my two cents...

best regards,

Niels.
 Niels Dettenbach