How to get every message (even a malformed one) onto Cyrus imapd?

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 28 15:54:43 EDT 2015

On 05/28/2015 10:05 AM, Recursive wrote:
> This means that these messages well-formed enough for GMX to accept them, but are so malformed that cyrus lmtp / imapd rejects them.
I can give an example of a related problem.

We use sendmail as our MTA, delivering via LMTP to Cyrus.
The LMTP delivery module on Sendmail defaults to allowing
lines longer than specification.  Cyrus accepts them.
But then the POP seems to choke when presenting
these messages.  Our Helldesk got in the habit of just
finding and deleting these messages.

When it arose to my attention, I had to manually add L=990
specification to the LMTP config to end it:

Mcyrusv2,       P=[IPC], F=lsDFMnqXzA@/:|m, L=990,
                 S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL, E=\r\n,
                 T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP, Q=cyrusv2,
                 A=TCP $h lmtp

Oh if only we could all obey all specs...

I fight daily against people who want to me to whitelist messages
because their application doesn't even put brackets around the From
address, and their server admin didn't bother to configure rDNS, and
other quite basic plumbing mistakes.