Trouble with Outlook 2013, especially with the upgrade from 12/8

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Dec 11 08:18:32 EST 2015

Hi,

we've always had more problems with users of Outlook than other clients,
but in recent days they have become much graver. A number of users have
lost mail in a way that we couldn't recover, even though we are using
expunge_mode: delayed. There seems to be some correlation to this upgrade
from Microsoft:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114349>

However, details are vague. There seem to be two types of problems:

1. Folders aren't synched with the IMAP server. There seems to be no
indication of that in the UI, but has the consequence that mail for that
folder is stored locally on the PC only. When the upgrade above is
installed, something resets, which has the result that the local copies are
purged. Since there are no copies on the server, the mails are lost.

2. Folders are moved unexpectedly when you move or rename a folder. This is
mentioned in the release notes above as a supposedly fixed bug. It
certainly has happened prior to the upgrade, but it's less clear if the bug
is really fixed. This is especially harmful if the folders are moved to the
Trash.

We were able to undelete some such folders, but according to at least one
user (some) mail or folders inside those folders were lost. We can find no
evidence of that in our logs.

Has anybody else observed issues like these? We are running 2.4.18, FWIW.
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.