Migrate from 2.2.13 to 2.4.17 disasters

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Mon Aug 24 07:53:17 EDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 08:44 AM, bshaw at vsvinc.com wrote:
>    Apologizes for the thread diversion here but I've been seeing a lot
> of discussion about using imapsync to migrate servers.  From what I have
> read in the documentation, you must have each user's password.  How is
> this possible in a business environment where you can't have (or
> shouldn't have) that information because of legal/privacy/ethical
> reasons?  Is there something I'm missing in the docs?
>
> Brian

I believe authuser is used. From man page:

You may authenticate as one user (typically an admin user), but be
authorized as someone else, which means you don’t need to know every
user’s personal password.  Specify
        --authuser1 "adminuser" to enable this on host1.  In this case,
--authmech1 PLAIN will be used by default since it is the only way to go
for now. So don’t use --authmech1
        SOMETHING with --authuser1 "adminuser", it will not work.  Same
behavior with the --authuser2 option.