High Availability

Ciro Iriarte cyruspy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 00:27:15 EDT 2015

El abr 20, 2015 3:55 AM, "Bron Gondwana" <brong at fastmail.fm> escribió:

> (taking it back to the list in case it's useful to others)
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015, at 05:45 PM, Lalot Dominique wrote:
>>
>> Hello Bron
>>
>> Unfortunately I would'nt be able to go to The Hague..
>

> Oh well :)
>

>> Just as a simple question, the only drawback of not using is that you
won't be able to share folders?

> That's the only drawback we have.  You can only share folders with users
on the same server.  For our family/business accounts, we just make sure
all users are on the same backend.

> We run hundreds of servers, and use nginx as a proxy in front of them so
we can move users without them knowing or having to update settings.

>> Can we have several imap servers without using muder?
>

> Sure.  We do a thing we call slots and stores, where we split each
machines up into up to 40 separate instances of Cyrus with 1Tb of storage
each, replicating to different machines.

>> I had only used a simple setup, one imap server with several spools
>

> That works fine, but it wont' give you high availability.
>

>> Is there some more information somewhere?
>

> Not much unfortunately.  We've written about our setup many times, most
recently here:

> http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/12/04/standalone-mail-servers/
>
> and more detail here:
>
> https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/architecture.html
>
> But they don't give you quite enough configuration detail to just plug
and play.

> Our plan with the Cyrus Foundation and developing Cyrus 3.0 is to have
pre-configured Docker images which you can just run and add storage, and
they will work in a cluster.  It's very ambitious, and we might not have it
fully stable by July when we launch 3.0, but it's definitely the eventual
goal.

> What is your timeframe for setting up this new system?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bron.
>
> --
> Bron Gondwana
> brong at fastmail.fm

Interesting, is the use of several instances needed because cyrus cannot
scale with threads in a single instance scenario?

Regards,
Ciro