How to improve mail search from iPad and other mobile devices

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Sep 18 09:51:17 EDT 2014

Hi,

my boss has tasked me with improving the performance of IMAP searches using
mail clients on mobile devices, mostly Apple's Mail on iPhone and iPad,
because that's what he uses. The bad performance he experiences is
exacerbated by the fact that he has one of the largest mail accounts we
have: currently he has 23 GB of mails ... at least they're not all in his
INBOX – he has about 1,750 folders.

According to Apple's manual, Mail searches all folders like this:
"Searching looks at the address fields, the subject, and the message body."

Search for addresses and subject should in theory be reasonably fast
because the results should mostly come from the cache. We also use
squatter, which should help with the body searches. However, each mailbox
is currently squatted roughly every 24 hours. With busy mailboxes I presume
that leaves a large window where search will have to fall back to searching
every message in that mailbox, right?

We are looking into using metapartitions to move all the relevant files to
SSD to make access to cache and squat files faster, but that won't help
with "outdated" squat files, right? Would it make sense to squat his
mailboxes more often?

Other suggestions?

Cheers
Sebastian
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.