restore from cyrdump

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Dec 16 14:42:25 EST 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> On 12/16/2014 4:11 AM, Michael Menge wrote:
>> We also don't use snapshots or stop cyrus for backup.
>>
>> But as a complete restore of our mail storage with normal backuptools
>> would take fare too long, we uses cyrus sync for disaster recovery.
>> For the normal backup we use a combination of delayed expung (14 days)
>> and normal filesystem backup. In most cases where the mail is still
>> in the filesystem and can be restored by unexpung, and in the rare
>> cases where the mail has been expunged i have to run reconstruct anyway.
>>

> I haven't used reconstruct in such a long time that I've forgotten what
> can't be reconstructed from the partition-default user mail files.
>
> Quotas are maintained separately.  Suppose annotations.db and
> mailboxes.db are both corrupted or inaccessible.  Does this mean the
> seen status is gone?  What else?

I forgot about one additional thing we do - we dump the mailboxes.db to a
flat file once an hour via cron.  That would allow us to (mostly) recover
from a corrupted mailboxes.db file.  Just like a full restore, we would
need to run a reconstruct on every mailbox, I think.

I haven't thought about annotations.db.  We do use that for a few things.

Seen status is stored in {configdir}/user/<prefix>/<username>.seen files
(skiplist format) here.  Those are backed up as flat files.

 	Andy