problem with one user after a crash

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jan 10 18:56:56 EST 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Lang wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Andrew Morgan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Lang wrote:
>>
>>> I has my home mail server crash, and after the crash, one user (me) is
>>> unable to
>>> acess any folders.
>>>
>>> When I manually telnet to the IMAP port, I can login, I can list and run
>>> other
>>> commands, but as soon as I do a select of any folder (mine or any other
>>> shared
>>> folder) I get disconnected.
>>>
>>> Other users have no problems accessing the same folder.
>>>
>>> This is with Cyrus 2.2 on Ubuntu (I need to upgrade, but have not had the
>>> time
>>> to do so yet)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on what may be wrong and how to diagnose this?
>>
>> Check your syslog files, whichever one Cyrus is logging to.  I suspect
>> you'll see something related to your "seen" file.
>>
>> A corrupt seen file could be causing your problem.  Seen files are stored
>> in {$configdir}/user/prefix/username.seen.  My seen file is:
>>
>>  /var/spool/cyrus/config/user/m/morgan.seen
>>
>> If it is corrupt, you may be able to repair it.  Seen files have been
>> stored by default in Skiplist format for quite a while.  You can google get
>> "skiplist.py", a script to fix corrupted Skiplist files, from:
>>
>>  http://oss.netfarm.it/python-cyrus.php
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>
> nothing useful shows up in the logs
>
> Jan 10 13:19:12 asgard cyrus/imap[22884]: login: localhost [127.0.0.1]
> dlang at lang.hm plaintext Userlogged in
> Jan 10 13:19:47 asgard master[1220]: process 22884 exited, signaled to death
> by 7
> Jan 10 13:19:47 asgard master[1220]: service imap pid 22884 in BUSY state:
> terminated abnormally

A corrupted seen file is the only thing that makes sense to me.  If other
users can open the same folder, then the cyrus.header and cyrus.index
files must be sane.

As an experiment, you could move your seen file from lang.seen (or
whatever it's called) to lang.seen.bak.  Then connect to IMAP as yourself
and try to open the folder.  If it works, then it must have been a
corrupted seen file, and you can use skiplist.py to recover as much of it
as possible.

If not...  we can use other tools (strace) to track down the likely
culprit.

 	Andy