Another 2.4 upgrade horror story

Wolfgang Breyha wbreyha at gmx.net
Tue Sep 25 09:25:45 EDT 2012

Sebastian Hagedorn wrote, on 25.09.2012 14:01:
> I realize that some of our problems were caused by infrastructure that's
> not up to current standards, but nonetheless I would really urge you to
> never again use an upgrade mechanism like that. Give admins a chance to
> upgrade indexes in the background and over time.

There is such an upgrade path using a murder environment and moving mailboxes
between backends. We used that for our 150k user infrastructure and had no IO
headaches at all. It was a good moment to update distribution, filesystems,
hardware, .... as well.

I tested conversion speed from 2.3 to 2.4 on about 100 mailboxes and it was
pretty obvious that touching all our mailboxes in one shot is clearly
impossible without unreasonable downtime.

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha at gmx.net> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria