process ctl_mboxlist -r hung

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Oct 25 14:41:37 EDT 2012

On 10/25/12 13:59 +0200, Ana B. Diez wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've been using Cyrus-imap 2.0.16.
>I've seen that there are two process "ctl_mboxlist -r" running along 30 days and they consume a lot of CPU.
>Is this an anomaly?
>The imap service it's ok but a little slow.
>
>Is it advisable to kill them and restart the service?

ctl_mboxlist -r was documented int 2.0.x as to 'Recover the database after
an application or system failure.', but has since been removed from cyrus.

I would suspect that ctl_mboxlist -r is being started via the START or
EVENTS section of your cyrus.conf, and was designed to run for a short time
to fix any db corruption and then exit.

Before killing it, try to get a safe backup of your mailbox list with
'mboxlist -d'. You may also wish to try checkpointing your database with
'mboxlist -c'.

You will also possibly need to reconstruct a corrupt mailbox, if you know
which one is causing your ctl_mboxlist to spin.

--
Dan White