Questions around moving from 2.2.12 to 2.4.12

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Feb 29 07:17:00 EST 2012

Am 29.02.2012 12:47, schrieb Bron Gondwana:

> Make sure you get /var/imap or wherever the DB files are stored as
> well, /var/spool/imap is just the emails - you want to keep the

Afai understand this would mean these 3 dirs:

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
sievedir: /var/lib/sieve

?

> Your biggest risk is berkeley DB files.  If you are using berkeley,
> either convert to skiplist first, or dump and restore.

sigh ... I don't even *know* if I use berkeley.

I suspect, yes, I see db-files in /var/lib/imap:

# ls /var/lib/imap
annotations.db
db
db.backup2
deliverdb
mailboxes.db
[...]

Is the conversion hard to do?
What do you recommend?

> Beware of mailbox sort order issues if you change that config.

You talk of the sort order in the mail-clients view?

>>> I am thinking about just trying it for a test, but I would really
>>> feel much better with some competent feedback from the
>>> cyrus-imap-community.
>
> Trying is good :)  The upgrade itself should be clean, if slow - lots
> of re-parsing of emails.  I looked into avoiding that, but it just
> made the code really, really ugly as it tried to deal with different
> versions of the index - so we decided to force the upgrade on first
> access.

If things work out, I don't have a problem with some time spent.
I prefer slow over flaky ...

Thanks for helping, Stefan