cyrus and Outlook subfolder crawling

Ciprian Marius Vizitiu [GBIF] cvizitiu at gbif.org
Thu Dec 13 06:53:13 EST 2012

On 12/13/2012 11:59 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 10:43 +0100, Marcus Schopen wrote:
>> I've got a problem with a Outlook 2010 client. The client is accessing a
>> 10 GB cyrus imap account and crawling with high a frequency like crazy
>> through each subfolders which fills the mail logfile and causes a
>> noticeable higher load. This never stops unless the Outook client is
>> closed. I'm not familiar with Outlook and to my mind this is not a cyrus
>> problem, but does anybody know to say Outlook to stop this annoying
>> behaviour.

Don't forget that 2010 will, by default, crawl the IMAP store and fetch
a copy of all messages locally (instead of subj only), check the size of
the local .pst file. The good part is that messages will be available
off-line the bad part is that your local .pst file will be as large as
the IMAP box; and it takes a lot of time to finish the process...