Cyrus-imap configuration issue

Rajeshwar Bharathi rajeshwarbharathi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 05:40:27 EDT 2011

Hi All,
I am trying to setup a cyrus imap server. I am using an 32-bit AWS AMI on
EC2.

I used yum to insatll cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd
The installation went thru fine and I am able to create users using
saslpasswd2
when I start cyrus-imapd server it comes up fine
/etc/init.d/cyrus-imapd start

I have the following configuration files.
/etc/imapd.conf
/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
/etc/sysconfig/sendmail.conf
/usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf

I have the following configurations in /etc/imapd.conf

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus  root
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
# uncomment this if you're operating in a DSCP environment (RFC-4594)
# qosmarking: af13

when I try to test I get the following errors
test1>>>
imtest -m login -p imap localhost
Authentication failed:gebneric error

test2>>>>

cyradm --user cyrus --server localhost --auth plain

Password:
IMAP Password:
Login failed: authentication failure at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/x86_64-linux/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm
line 118
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with plain as cyrus

Please let me know what config problems i have and how to proceed further.

Thanks,
Raj