cyrus.index file

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Nov 7 09:40:23 EST 2011

> how can I check if a user deleted a mail ?
> Is there is history somewhere?
> How can I read the cyrus.index file?

If it's not expunged, only marked deleted, give your account lrs on
the mailbox temporarily and open it with a client. I find that a
very usable way to read the cyrus.index :-)

If it's expunged, if you use delayed expunge and it was expunged
within the delay period, unexpunge -l user.xxx will show it.

If neither, you might be able to make a guess based on the known
delivery time (from postfix logs) and timestamps on the message
files on the file system. E.g. postfix says it was delivered at
Nov 1 10:25, and you have in the mailbox message 4566. at 10:10,
no message 4567., and message 4568. at 10:30... conclusion, it
was there and was deleted and expunged.

Joseph Brennan