deliver.db

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed May 11 00:26:07 EDT 2011

> Hi,
>
> One of our scanner produces non-unique message-ids when sending mails.
> Ids are repeated in about a week.
>
> So I decided to have deliver.db purged at least once a day, because I
> have duplicatesuppression on in imapd.conf
>
> ####cyrus.conf
> EVENTS {
>
>   checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30
>   delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 1 -a -v" at=1015
>   tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" period=1440
> }
> ##########
>

> deliver.db had 114 lines, I tried to set "at" to the time 5 min in the
> future. I waited for 10 mins. Log reported that cyr_expire ran, but
> deliver.db size and number of lines did not change.
>
> I have stopped cyrus, renamed deliver.db, started cyrus. And now
> deliver.db is quite small and not changing.
>
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 8,0K May 11 10:55 /var/imap/deliver.db
>

> What should I do anyway to fight that ugly scanner while keeping
> duplicatesuppression on ?

I suggest to generate a valid message ID on the receiving MTA for just
those mails. How to do it really depends on how your config looks like and
there may be a lot of ways to do that. If you could remove the message ID
before it is injected into the MTA, the MTA may happily generate a new
unique one.

Regards,
Simon