Vacation Not Working...

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue May 10 07:28:38 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 20:03 -0600, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a mail server that we use cyrus-imap for. It works well
> enough. Stock package for RHEL 5 (cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3). Likely
> somewhat old.

But it certainly worked at that version.

> In anycase we've used sieve for server side filtering and
> it has worked well for years. We have a couple users however that would
> like to use the 'Vacation'/'Auto responding' features. The add the rule,
> however no auto response is ever attempted. There are no errors in the
> log, nada.

What SIEVE client are you using to generate the vacation script?  In
several clients you have to include *target* addresses that when a
message is received should generate a response [this is the vacation
user's addresses].  Users very commonly neglect that value.

> I spent a few hours trying to get something but never did. Can anyone
> suggest what I should be doing to see why it isn't working? Any gotcha's
> or other pointers? [Internet Search] has turned up many people with similar
> problems, but no answers.

Probably the lovely people who ask questions but can never be bothered
to post their solutions.