email in shared folders not showing up with multiple backend servers

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 2 14:45:16 EST 2011

On 03/02/2011 02:17 PM, Robert Spellman wrote:
> I'm in the process of moving users from back end servers running cyrus
> 2.2.12 to 2.4.6. Users who have been moved over can no longer see the
> content of shared folders if the shared folder resides on the 2.2.12
> server. The front end and murder servers are still running 2.2.12. The
> shared folders show up in Thunderbird when trying to subscribe to them,
> but they are greyed out in the "All Folders" pane, and the next time you
> go into subscribe, they are unchecked again.
>
> Oddly enough, we are running imp for a webmail client, and they continue
> to see the content of the shared folders.
>
> Here's my imapd.conf from the backend server:

The frontend servers being 2.2.12 is most likely your problem.  The LSUB
is being proxied to the backend server since that's where the
subscription information is.  Your 2.4.x backend will correctly list
mailboxes on remote servers as \Noselect.  The 2.4.x frontends know how
to magically strip the \Noselect from the proxied response, but the
2.2.12 frontends don't.

You should upgrade your frontends to 2.4.6 first, but the other trick is
that you have to make sure you disable any capabilities that the old
2.2.12 backends don't support using the suppress_capabilities config
option in imapd.conf.

Something like

suppress_capabilities: ESEARCH QRESYNC WITHIN

Thanks,

Dave