LMTP bounces with invalid chars in MAIL FROM adress

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Feb 15 08:44:36 EST 2011

> Hi,
>
> I've seen a growing number of bounced mails from Cyrus LMTP where Postfix
> logs "501 5.5.4 Syntax error in parameters (in reply to MAIL FROM
> command))"
>
> The problem is that those messages really have invalid from adresses, like
> "RosaSánchez at something.com", but Postfix still accepts them. Later, Cyrus
> runs parseaddr() on it ans correctly refuses to accept the mail.
>
> Now, I'm interested to hear how others handle this case, if possible how
> they handle it with postfix. I know that enabling strict_rfc821_envelopes
> would possibly help but that seem to be a bad idea.

I've searched the postfix-users list and as expected I'm not the only one
to see this issue:

http://marc.info/?l=postfix-users&m=120168533827364&w=2

Since postfix (and I think also other MTA's) are a bit relaxed on what
they accept as "MAIL FROM:" addresses, is there a very good reason for
Cyrus to be so strict?

Simon